'CakePHP development? Oh! I know it well! '
Really? Most developers flaunt the confidence of being 100% acquainted with the tit-bits of CakePHP application development. According to them, they know what to do in the development process. Very well! But, how many of them actually know what they 'do not' need to do- quite a few of them. This post explores 7 such things which every developer should refrain from doing. Have a look.
- Do not begin with the development blind-folded. Before divulging into the stream of CakePHP development, ensure that you are aware with the basic functionality of the framework. You have the option of referring to manuals; it is advised to turn to the online tutorials first. They provide a detailed solution to all your queries and at times, you get the exact code snippet you have been looking for. On the other hand, while using a manual you might be posed with certain concepts which will be hard to decipher. Ensure you are doing your homework well.
- Do not ignore web standards. Your applications must be in compliance with web standards. In other words, it should be W3C validated. In case you overlook these standards, the scalability, usability, accessibility and portability of your app is adversely affected. So, abide by the standards for any web applications so that you do not regret in the longer run.
- Do not leave the site URLs without optimization. At times, while working with URL structure of a site, developers tend to forget all about the search engines. Search engine friendship is an important aspect of the online identity of every website and URLs play a significant role in making a site SEO-friendly. Ensure that you have optimized the structures of your CakePHP portal by including all necessary keywords.
- Do not overload the application with too many features. When you are working in a CakePHP development company, you are likely to handle one project at a time, as each project gets a dedicated resource. And in this single project you may wish to incorporate all the features which appeal you or which you find necessary. But, do not do so! It is not a best practice. Doing so will make the website look cluttered and only add to the load time of the website. Keep the navigation, accessibility and graphics of the site as simple as possible, or else it will cost your clients in the longer run.
- Do not leave the site content unorganized. Most Cake PHP developers have the habit of overlooking the organization of content on a site. However, it is best to pay heed to this because it is the content of the site which lures most traffic. Ensure that you logically place content in the application which you have developed. Ignoring elements like sub-headings, bullets, headings, keywords and paragraphs can adversely affect your traffic influx.
- Do not forget to test your application. As an adept CakePHP developer, putting your application to test should be a part of your work rule. If you do not test your app, some flaws may crop up in them, which may render it useless. Thus, test your application on all necessary parameters including quality, security, performance and bug-issues. You may also hand over the task to a quality-assurance team in your organization.
- Do not leave your codes unchecked. Many developers do not comprehend the importance of checking and re-checking their code. In case you want to give the last minute hassles a miss, make sure you check your code, once written.
- Being mindful about the aforementioned 'don'ts' will help you in rendering a more optimized and highly functional CakePHP app. After all, this is what organizations hire CakePHP developers for!